Sorry Spike, it's not always about the shoes... It's about the kids!
Living in Portland has it's perks. Since I moved here in 2013, I've been fortunate enough to participate in a lot of footwear related events. A couple of weeks ago, the Doernbecher Children's Hospital staff reached out to a few local enthusiasts to come check out the facility. I was accompanied by HesKicks, Shoezeum (along with his wife Natalie), CamK503 & Mikey_Index from IndexPortland, and Kathryn from SoleCollector. We were all given a tour of the OHSU-based children's hospital, filled with tons of information about the physical hospital itself, historical facts, nationwide ranking, and of course the Nike Doernbecher Freestyle program.
Every year, Nike partners with Doernbecher Children's Hospital to develop a set of uniquely designed shoes. The design process summons the help of a select group of brave Doernbecher patients. These shoes help tell the respective stories of the DB children, but more importantly, 100% of the proceeds from Nike are donated back to Doernbecher to help with research to fight these illnesses. A lot of the children have medical conditions that require machines to operate daily (the procedures can total up to thousands of dollars a day!) Together, they've raised over $11 million dollars to date.
Before checking out the following gallery, here are a few bullet points from taken directly from Doernbecher...
• OHSU Doernbecher Children’s Hospital was established in 1926 with a gift of
$200,000 from the estate of Frank Doernbecher, a furniture maker
• OHSU Doernbecher providers care for more than 3,000 children at more than 200
outreach clinics in 15 locations
• U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks OHSU Doernbecher among the nation’s
best children’s hospitals (this year, we were ranked in seven pediatric specialties)
• We care for kids from every county in Oregon, plus SW Washington and beyond
• Started in 2004 by Michael Doherty (Doernbecher Foundation Board of Directors
member and Nike’s Creative Director for Global Brand Presentations)
• Has engaged 70 Doernbecher patients to date
• Raised more than $11 million to expand pioneering research, support clinical care,
purchase state-of-the-art equipment, recruit new experts and help cover the cost of
care for families most in need
Thank you so much to the entire Doernbecher staff for providing us with this special opportunity!